Re: Re: Pitman Arm Update

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 19:56:31 EST

> Kyle, you may be trying to take off too much. I looked in a Haynes manual
> have for full size Dodge trucks and it appears that you may not have to
take
> that large nut off the steering box. It does show the use of a "special
> tool C-4150" to remove it. That said, what keeps it on the steering box?
> It doesn't say, and I've been very disappointed with the Haynes manual for
> this reason. I used to stand by the old Motor's Manuals, but I reckon
they
> went out of business. I ordered my FSM last week - $90 I think.
> By the way, I can fax you these pages from Haynes if you think they would
> help. Overall though, I think Haynes should stick to underwear.

Cal,
You are right, sometimes Hayne's manuals help and sometimes they just makes
things more confusing! I am looking at my manual right now also, and it does
have the "Special Tool C-4150" listed. The funny thing is that they do not
talk about this "special tool" anywhere in the written part of the text.
However, I know the nut has to come off. When I was under my truck looking
at the pitman arm, this large nut covered a large portion of the arm which
was on the steering pump shaft. There is not way the pitman arm will come
off with the nut still on there. For those who have replaced the pitman arm
on their Dak, how did you get it off?????????????????????????????????
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6