Re: High Quality Head Gaskets (Bernd)

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 07:28:47 EST

In a message dated 1/21/00 12:19:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, bernd@texas.net
writes:

> FelPro carries headgaskets that include a copper ring (O-Ring) around the
> combustion chamber. Used to use them on my old Camaro (396BB) and they
> never leaked...even with NOS and 10.5:1 compression.
>
> - Bernd

I went to pep boys and picked up the whole gasket rebuild set, with every
imaginable gasket I could ever need. The head gasket has o-rings around the
combustion chambers, but it doesn't look like copper because it's
silver....perhaps aluminum?? Or maybe it's copper that's coated with
something. At any rate, the stock gaskets look very similar as that they also
have metal o-rings. Do you have any suggestions on what's the best way to
replace these gaskets?? Should I use any gasket sealers such as RTV,
silicone, etc. Anti-seize on the cylinder bolts?? It doesn't look like there
was any on there from the factory, on the other hand none of them were
siezed. With all the vacuum lines and wiring harnesses you have to remove I
REEEEEALLY don't want to have to replace these again. How do I make this
thing bullet-proof?? I no longer plan to try to get any more horsepower out
of this motor, I just want it to work with what I have now. Any suggestions
would be appreciated!!

-Austin
Vipertruck