Rattling the Cages

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 01:04:16 EST

Well,

Since the first step has been set in motion, the Dakota Ping Report (and a
friendly email requesting assistance to get to the bottom of the pinging
problem) has been sent to:

Motor Trend
Road & Track
J.D.Power & Assoc.
Daimler Investor Relations
AutoWeek
AutoNews
and Consumer Reports

Let's see what happens now.

---------- (Original Email)----------------

I am seeking some help from XXXXXXXX in the quest to some serious answers
for the "Knocking Dakota" problem. If you look in most Auto/Truck
Magazines, you'll notice the "Knock, Knock, Knock...Who's there" ad for the
new Dodge Dakota. The Knock, Knock, Knock part it completely true. The
"pinging" problem with these trucks seems to be a cover-up that Dodge (nor
Daimler) can give us a straight answer on the fix.

I am a member of the DML (Dakota Mailing List) that has well over 700 users
nation-wide and we have started to take a poll on who's Dakota pings and
what might be the cause. Computers have been re-flashed by the dealers on
some, others have had to resort to higher octane fuel, colder spark-plugs
and/or 180 degree thermostats. None of these are true fixes and sometimes
they work, other times they don't.

If you would like to take a look at the preliminary (2-day collection)
results, you'll find them rather shocking.

http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/DakotaPingReport.htm

Please help with contacting your sources at Dodge to find out if they even
plan on fixing the problem or just ignoring us. They've had three years to
come up with a fix and nothing is working.

Sincerely,

Bernd D. Ratsch

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
1997 Dodge Dakota SLT/CC - 2WD
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm
http://www.mopars.net/dak/bernd/
http://www.toycrusher.com
bernd@texas.net
ICQ: 39320084

"Have I gone too far...Or has Toyota not gone far enough!"