RE: Bad Gasmilage... (new)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 11:42:14 EST

The 195 (OEM) T'Stats run right before the middle of the gauge. The 180
T'stats run a little bit lower than that (but not by much). If it's rally
cold outside and you're moving, the air flow on the radiator (with
wind-chill) will keep the radiator colder than normal.

How to tell if the truck is running around 180 while driving? You can
either borrow a scanner (OBD-II Compliant) or install a mechanical temp
gauge (that has the numbers on it) to see what it's doing. You can check it
at idle with the radiator cap off but will need a oven thermometer. Remove
the cap, stick the thermometer in the radiator (don't drop it in), start the
truck, and let it idle for about 10 minutes. It won't give you an accurate
reading though since the truck is running in a stationary position. (It
will allow the radiator to come up to normal operating temperature and will
probably stay there since there's no cold air, with wind-chill, flowing
across it.)

What you can do (since you have an electric fan setup) is raise the "Turn-ON
Point" on the fan switch to a slightly higher point. This might help to
keep it a little bit warmer.

One question though: Does you heater work like normal? (In other
words...does it heat up the cab like it did in the summer?)

- Bernd