Re: Gear/Tire help

From: Michael J. Satterfield (mikeys01@flash.net)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 20:21:29 EST

You can get 4.10 gears for a Dakota (8.25 inch rear end). I just had a set
put in my 97 Dakota 4x2. I had my dealer do it and it wound up costing me
$1600 with parts and labor. They also made it a limited slip differential
(posi-traction) while they were upgrading it. I had ordered the truck with
a 3.55 standard rear gear.

I got the truck back today and I can testify that it has made a helluva
difference in the get up and go! The only problem I've got is that they
didn't correct the speedometer and it is reading about 10mph high at highway
speeds (70 is now 60 etc.). However, I'm going to fix this next week by
replacing the speedometer pinion gear. I pulled mine today and it has 34
teeth on it. To slow it down, it needs more teeth and the appropriate
number would be (4.10/3.55) x 34 = 39 teeth.

Hope this helps.

Mike