RE: '98 Dakota Tuff Country installation article

From: Marc Sanders (dakota4x@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 04:11:57 EST

Actually, the back is lifted about 4 - 4.5 inches, in order to level it out
a bit. The block you see is a 3 incher (not too bad), then there is an
add-a-leaf as well. It does stiffen up the rear a little, but it softened up
after the first off-road trip. With about 150 lbs in the bed, it rides like
stock. I would have balked at a 5.5 inch block as well. You can't use an
extended shackle due to the fact that it's a tension shackle - making it
longer would lower the truck, not lift it. A shackle flip would be feasable,
but would be very fabrication-intensive.

I'm not sure why the dakota lift doesent use a more highly arched spring -
the Durango version does. However, I'm also not sure why the Dakita uses a
spring-over design, and the Durango uses a spring-under. Perhaps due to the
increased weight in the rear of the durango, it is more prone to axle wrap -
the spring under would help reduce that.

Anyway, as soon as a lift spring with a decent spring rate is available, I
will look into it - I'm not big on lift blocks either.

Marc Sanders
San Jose, Ca
'98 CC SLT+, 318, AT, 5.5" lift, 33" BFG M/T's
http://contagious-racing.8m.com