Re: Cleaning the IAC/Truck Dies in the Cold

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 17:09:59 EST

> For anyone that's done this, a few dumb questions if you don't mind...
> 1.) Just want to confirm the IAC is attached to the back of the TB and
the >TPS is attached to the side, right?
> 2.) Do I need to remove it to clean it or just spray some Gummout down
the
> idle air "valley" on the TB base?
>
> I'm trying to cure the dying condition my 5.2L '98 has just developed in
the
> cold... I'm not convinced this is the problem as the TB and bores are
> absolutely spotless to the naked eye but I'd thought I'd give it a try
anyway.
> > Thinking ahead that this may be more of a bad battery or TSB problem
that was posted before, do any of you Canadian's or state's folks in cold
climates find your trucks hard to crank when it's sat overnight in the
cold??? My truck will fire up and run on the first crank but it cranks
really, really slow...

Tom,
First off, I have only cleaned my throttle body two times(117,000 miles)and
it has never had hard times starting or runnning in cold temps. I did not
even clean all the TB sensors either, just a quick shot of TB cleaner down
the bored. This last week and this week the lows are between 0-10 a night,
no problems. What is the CCA rating of your battery? I have a Champion 4x4
battery; it has 4 posts, a CA(32 degrees and warmer) of 1000 and CCA(-20
degrees to +32 degrees) of 900. I love this battery, cant beat it for a mere
$40. I have had it for 3+ years now with no problems; even with all my extra
amp drawing accessories. Stock batteries are poor, if you still have it
anyways.....
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6