Re: torque converters....

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 20:17:35 EST

At 04:56 PM 1/23/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>it seems I may need a new torque converter. I may get somthing with a
>stall, but I have some questions first.
>How streetable is a stall converter? Can you get one with a lockup?
>
>thanks
>
>-mike d.

Check out http://www.converter.com/faqs.htm for converter stall info., then
check out the products page for applications. You can get a lockup version
with a higher stall than stock. I don't work for them.

Do you do a lot of street racing or drags/bracket racing? If the engine is
pretty much stock, get the Chrysler dyno curve specs for your engine and
use the torque curve when ordering your converter. You want a converter
with a stall of around 500 RPMs below peak torque RPM. If you've done any
serious mods other than simple filter swaps, little crap like that, get it
dynoed. If you don't know the stall speed of your current stock converter,
there is a way to find out what it is. It's not 100% accurate all the time
(accurate if no wheel spin occurs), but it gives you a ball park
figure. Drive the truck for a while to get everything up to temp. Park
your truck where you have plenty of room in front of you. Set the parking
brake fully - press it down hard. Press the brake pedal with your left
foot - hold it hard. Put it in drive and mash the metal to the floor and
hold it for four seconds. The max RPM on your tach is your stall speed of
the converter. Just don't do this a lot as it is not healthy on your
transmission if you don't have a transbrake. Need any more info, feel free
to email.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net