Re: torque converters....

From: George Hernandez (georgeh@tocquigny.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 11:35:34 EST

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> So what else was done to the tranny? Was the governor modified...modified
> clutches...manual shift conversion?

The first stall I put on the camaro was a 2400. Basically I put it on a
completely stock transmission with a heavy duty tranny cooler. It lasted 30k
like that. 60ft times were always 1.9's on radials and the difference was pretty
pleasant. MTI programming made the tranny shift HARD and right were I wanted it
(about 6500RPM) but also mantained good streetability. COMPLETELY streetable,
the only reason it broke was because I ran slicks and nitrous on it for those
30k miles. However, I can't say enough about the 4L60E tranny, its a super auto.

Then I got greedy and got decided to go all out race. I put in a 3000 non
lock-up Hughs converter and added a Transgo shift-kit. Racing improved but the
tranny got replaced 3 times in 3 years. However it was still streetable and
mantained fully automatic shifts. I will say highway drives became a pain. Even
then I'm sure it was because the tranny was non lock-up at this point and not
because of the stall.

Also the Dak's 2400 stall lasted 4 full years w/out a rebuild and was also used
for towing. After 70k the overdrive died but I've been told the overdrive was
notorious for being weak in those trucks.

I'm just saying that I believe a 2400 stall or less is worth the performance
gain and I seriously doubt that it will hurt the tranny or streetablity. I know
many many people that run 2600 converters and have been perfectly fine.