Re: intake manifold

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 20:35:44 EST

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Jason&Sarah wrote:

> I'll just wait for yours, sounds like a good deal. Do you know what kind of
> HP and Torque gains we're looking at here? At what RPMS is this designed
> for?

   Sorry, re-reading my message, I think my wording was such that
it might be open to mis-interpretation. The kit that I'm working on
will be a suppliment to the MPI manifold, rather than a replacement
for it. It will include additional instructions and a few of the
pieces that you'd need to have fabricated otherwise, but you'll
still need to get the manifold itself from Mopar, as well as the
intake gasket kit and the thermostat housing, etc. I did consider
including everything, but essentially what I'd be doing is ordering
the parts from Summit or somewhere like that, then tacking on a charge
to cover my mailing costs and time, and mailing them to somebody
else. This would greatly increase the costs to the "final user".
I wouldn't mind making the extra money, but I'm not out to rip
people off, and that's what it felt like. So instead, I'll just
be including the parts that I manufacture myself, and in the
install instructions, I will specify exactly what other components
you will need to buy, including part numbers, when available. This
will also allow for more customization too. For example, there are
cast iron thermostat housings and chrome ones. By allowing the end
user to buy their own, they'll get exactly what they want, and I
won't have to worry about having a huge overhead of parts...

   As far as HP and torque gains go, I'm not sure if that was ever
established for sure. You may want to search through the archives
for that info, paying special attention for posts by Frank Holloway.
I believe he posted some good info about this manifold. From what
I've read, basically your only other alternative is to port the
stock intake, and the power increases from doing that are minimal
compared to the MPI.
   I've had the MPI on my truck for well over 6 months now, probably
closer to 3/4 year. I've had absolutely no problems with it; no
check engine lights, and no driveability problems. I don't have any
before/after dyno runs or anything like that unfortunately, but it
definitely woke up the truck, especially as you get up near 3,000
rpms. It may have taken away some of the low end torque (which
didn't matter to me as I have a hard enough time hooking up as it is)
but once the tach needle starts to get near vertical, its one "hang
on to your seat and grin like a fool" ride. :-)
   It didn't create a "peaky" engine; my torque curve is almost
completely flat, almost like the V10 or a big ol' diesel or somethin'. :-)
Power keeps on climbing right up through the redline, and the torque
stays flat. If you're interested in checking out a dyno run, this
was done at Chryslers@Carlisle '99:

stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/dyno001.jpg">http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/attachments/stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/dyno001.jpg

  Its a '96 318 with the MPI intake along with a MP PCM, 180 t-stat,
R&D underdriven pullies, 14x3" open element, F&B Stage II TB, JBA
coated headers, ATR 2.5"->3" Y-pipe, no cat, Gibson 3" exhaust, and
an Accel brass cap & rotor.

  Max RWHP is 235@4800
  Max RWTQ is 293@2200

  The manifold dropped my 1/4 mile times from the 14.8s and 14.9s down
to 14.5's. Of course, it also gets a lot of comments when the hood comes
up. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'