Re: H.B. 1183 (Nitrous Oxide bill)

From: J.D. Forinash (foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 12:08:37 EST

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 07:11:49AM -0800, Nate Johnson wrote:
> Hey, thought you all might be interested in this! Got this from a friend,
> is this true or bull?

It's a bill before the Georgia House of Representatives. Check out

http://www.state.ga.us/services/leg/ShowBillPre.cgi?year=1999&filename=1999/HB1183

for details.

I am, of course, against it, but boy, the watchdog group needs help here.
Their major points against it included:

> H.B. 1183 ignores the fact that nitrous oxide can make maneuvers such as
> passing, going uphill or merging onto a highway safer for vehicles with
> slow
> acceleration.
>
> H.B. 1183 ignores the fact that the extra power provided by nitrous oxide
> can improve the safety of large trucks or motorhomes, especially when
> pulling a trailer.

I just fell over laughing reading these. Yeah, every nitrous oxide system
I've ever seen is mounted on either a motorhome or a Geo Metro. :) If the
watchdog group you got the notice from can't come up with anything better
than that, ain't nobody gonna take 'em seriously.

The way I see it is simple:

Speeding is already illegal. "Reckless Driving" is already illegal. If you
use a nitrous system and speed or drive recklessly, we've already _got_
laws for that. And if you're doing neither, what's the problem?

Too bad "making sense" is not a requirement for legislation. :) I'll be
corresponding with my congresscritter...

That being said, I suspect the law is largely irrelevant anyhow. They want
the Code amended to say:

    A person shall not on a public road drive a passenger car
    or pickup truck which supplies or is specially equipped to
    supply the motor vehicle's combustion engine with nitrous
    oxide as a fuel additive."

Is nitrous oxide generally considered a fuel additive?

-F

--
--J.D. Forinash (foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu) / '69 Coronet 440, yellow, 318
The more you learn, the better your    / '70 Fury III 'vert, mostly white, 318