Re: 4 Wheel Questions

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 22:12:23 EST

<<1st Question. Would someone please explain to me what exactly part time four
wheel drive is.>>

This is the standard 4wd system. When engaged it supplies an equal amount of
torque to the front and rear axle via the transfer case. It is intended for
use in low traction situations only (read: not for dry pavement use) --as
opposed to a full-time system which can be engaged anytime.

<<2nd Question. When you put it in four wheel drive, should it go into 4 wheel
drive immediatly, also, once in 4 wheel drive, should it come right out?>>

Yes there can be some lag time between throwing the lever and actual
engagement. There is some synchronization that must take place before power
can be applied to the front output shaft (otherwise things will break). Same
deal goes for dis-engagement. A good rule of thumb is, if possible, go ahead
and engage 4wd before you get in the sh*t or know you need it... Not always
possible, but if your going onto a trail, put her in 4hi just in case.

<<My truck has a dendency not to come out of 4 wheel drive until about a
mile down the road. I was told by the dealership that this was normal. I was
also told that it was normal for it not to go into 4 wheel drive soon as you
pull it into 4 wheel drive. Which then brings me to my third question, what
exactly does shift on the fly mean?>>

Well, a mile seems excessive unless you were really on the gas or you were
in a situation with rapid changes of engine speeds or gears. Mines gone a
couple of hundred feet before disengaging (sometimes with a nice clunk when
it does) but nowhere near a mile. Shift on the fly simply means you can
select 4wd drive while moving as opposed to stopping, getting out, slopping
through the mud, dig down to the hubs and lock the axles. ;-) Personally,
I'm just pleased the Kota's don't use the vacuum actuators that were on my
old jeep and many other 4wd vehicles. I've had more problems with those
than I've ever had on my Kota.

Hope this helps.
Tom