4 Wheel Questions

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@fn.net)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 19:40:46 EST

It's funny this question should come up now. I have noticed the last time
it snowed here in Wichita and again today in the snow that sometimes when I
go from 2-Hi to 4-Hi, the front axle doesn't engage. If I press on the gas,
the rear end breaks loose and goes sideways and I hear a grinding noise
coming from the transfer case with nothing happening at the front end.
Sounds kinda like a Makita drill where you can preset a torque into it and
the clutch breaks loose when you reach that torque value. I stopped by the
dealership and set up an appointment for tomorrow. I'm not sure I can make
it in, although I'll try. On the way home, I played with the transfer case
shift lever and found that if I stop and go into 4-Lo and back out into
4-Hi the front axle engages, however when going back out into 2-Hi, the
front wheels are still engaged. I then have to come to a complete stop and
sometimes put it into reverse to get the front axle to dis-engage. I think
the shift linkage must be hosed somehow, I hope it's not an internal T-case
problem. This is a '99 with auto/318 with approx. 9000 miles and zero
problems so far, not even pinging. Anyone else having similar T-case
problems?

Mike G.
'99 4X4 CC SLT+ with 318/Auto, F&B TB, Jet Stage II, K&N Gen II, Gibson
Cat-Back, Accel Cap & Rotor, MSD Wires, Speedliner Spray-In Liner, Extang
Black Max Tonneu

1st Question. Would someone please explain to me what exactly part time
four
wheel drive is.

2nd Question. When you put it in four wheel drive, should it go into 4
wheel
drive immediatly, also, once in 4 wheel drive, should it come right out?

My truck has a dendency not to come out of 4 wheel drive until about a mile

down the road. I was told by the dealership that this was normal. I was
also
told that it was normal for it not to go into 4 wheel drive soon as you
pull
it into 4 wheel drive. Which then brings me to my third question, what
exactly does shift on the fly mean?

I just want to make sure that what I though about 4 wheel drive was right
before I go tear the dealership a new back side.

Thanks!