Re: 4 Wheel Questions

From: SS454454@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 23:14:45 EST

msbavior@hotmail.com writes:

<< 1st Question. Would someone please explain to me what exactly part time
four
 wheel drive is.

Part time 4wd is when your transfer case has a low 4 ahd a high 4 range.
youll notice that most of the time your truck is in 2hi. thats normal driving
range which means youre driving the rear wheels only. now on a part time you
have the choice of 2 wheel and 4 wheel ( hi or lo range) on a full time 4
wheel drive youre constantly driving the front and rear tires with the
transmission. you dont have the option of 2 hi.

 2nd Question. When you put it in four wheel drive, should it go into 4 wheel
 drive immediatly, also, once in 4 wheel drive, should it come right out?

in some cases ( usually newer trucks with the center or vaccum disconnect
and auto hubs tend to stick sometimes.) it may take driving forward or
backward for 10 to 15 feet to disengage the 4 wheel drive. next time drive
backwards slowly if it doesnt feel like it wants to come out of 4 wheel
drive. it usually works.

 My truck has a dendency not to come out of 4 wheel drive until about a mile
 down the road. I was told by the dealership that this was normal. I was also
 told that it was normal for it not to go into 4 wheel drive soon as you pull
 it into 4 wheel drive. Which then brings me to my third question, what
 exactly does shift on the fly mean?
shift on the fly is whemn you have your hand on your fly and you shift lol.
actually it means that you can go from 2 wheel drive range to 4 HI ( not 4
lo) without having to stop. you need to stop the truck to shift in to 4 lo