Re: I need Truck audio help!!!

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 14:39:06 EST

>>if you plan on getting an amp for your
system, would'nt it be kinda foolish to go out and by, say, a pioneer head
unit putting out 45WX4, and then add an amp to that. I mean the most
continueous power I have seen from a 4 channel amp is 65W/channel(not that
I look much!), you would spend a 300+ on the head unit and then 400+ on
the amp and only get a extra 20W/channel over the head unit. Would it be
better to get a low power head unit to save some bucks? How about a head
unit that puts out no power?<<

My apologies in advance for the length of this post.

The power ratings on head units are very misleading. I believe they list
peak power, which is usually significantly more than double their RMS
power. Also, limited space also limits the quality of circutry that can
be used, so they are more likely to distort near the amp's capacity. I
have a Sony headunit with 45x4 power, and a sony amp that puts out 50x4.
I had to run the front speakers off the head unit while my amp was being
repaired, and I couldn't get anywhere NEAR the volume/clarity that I get
from the dedicated amp. The rear stockers run great off the integrated
amp, but then again they're coming from a stock unit that put out 3-5W
RMS. As for nonamplified head units, they are available (Alpine, Eclipse
and SOny ES to name a few), but they're usually VERY expensive. If this
sounds backwards, think about it for a second. What kind of person would
most likely want a headunit without an amplifier? An audiophile, who
doesn't want the additional noise an integrated amp would provide. These
same people would also want higher quality components in their equipment,
hence the higher price.

My suggestion would be to ignore the power rating on headunits you're
considering and focus on the other features. Just make sure you get one
with enough RCA outputs. 2 is good, 3 is great (extra for a sub), 4 or
more is overkill. You should be able to get a very good quality unit from
200-350, depending on features (mine was $350 when I bought it, if you
care, and it's a Sony CDX-C680)

David Gloff
Computer Technician
Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
aolim: dgloff
Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
F&B Stage I TB, Keystone/Proglass Ram Air Hood, 14x3" K&N, Sir Michael's
Roll Pan, Custom monochrome paint

If ignorance is bliss, liberals must be the happiest people on earth