Re: Re: Re: RE: Remote Start Key question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 18:36:10 EST

> They can't jump in and drive off without the key as the steering wheel is
> still locked... but I am curious about what exactly happens when you DO
turn
> the key (Not far enough to engage the starter solenoid I realize...)
>
> Never had one before...why would someone need a remote starter anyway?
> (Other than "Because" ;-)

Preacher,
You are correct. With my remote starter sytstem, if a key is not in the
ignition, and my truck is attempted to put the trannsmission in drive,
reverse, or neutral, ther truck with die and will not restart without a key.
As a side note, my steering wheel has only 'locked' on me 3-4 times in the 5
years I have had the truck. I love my remote starter, especially in the
winter time when on some nights to temps regularly drop to 0 or even colder.
I do not park my Dak in the garage, and the remote starter system just saves
time and it gets my Dak nice and warm when I leave a 3am to go hunting. This
is really helpful when there is 30 inches of snow on the ground, like now.
Once the remote starter system is turned on, the key must be put in and
turned over ro de-activate the system and allow the tranny to be put into a
gear. If the key doesnt get turned over enough, the truck will die. If it
gets turned over too much, you will get that nasty starter grinding sound. I
have only done this one time when I first got the remote system. Mine is set
to run for 15 minutes and then shut down.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6