Re: Re: Tires

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 21:18:11 EST

>Heather, just curious, but are you looking for an all-terrain tire? It is
>really your choice on what you get, it is your money. If you are looking for
>an all-terrain tire, there are many more tires alot better than the LTX M/S
>out there. I have pulled out alot of vehicles stuck in snow with these
>tires, and they were even 4WD trucks/SUVs. Also, maybe it is just me, but my
>jaw dropped when you said $154 each!!! I am on my 3rd complete set of tires,
>and have never paid anywhere close to $600 for the set. My current Dunlop
>Radial Rover RVs(LT235-75R15's), for a set of 4, lifetime balance, lifetime
>rotation, lifetime valve stems, mounted up and balanced came to only $315. I
>am not making you rethink your decision, just am curious what kind of tire
>you are after. I just think Michelins are over-priced and very over-rated.
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Check out www.tirerack.com. They have pictures of all kinds of tires and
they have tire test results of owner surveys on various tires. I just got
through with a two week tire search for my Dak and settled on Pirelli
Scorpion A/Ts. They happen to be rated #2, with the Michelin LTX AT as #1
for an All-Terrain tire on Tire Rack's survey results. And they can be had
for A LOT less than a Michelin. Plan to get them from Discount Tire
Co. I've had two sets from them: 235x75x15 Wrangler AT about five years
ago and 31x10.5x15 BFGoodrich radial all-terrains about four months ago -
both on my play truck, not the Dak. With lifetime balance/rotation and
free flat repair, their hard to beat.

Michelin's are good, and they come with a price. You get what you pay for
with the Michelin tires. Uncle works for the San Antonio Fire Department
and after the city did testing, they equipped all the fire trucks and EMS
trucks with Michelin tires - as they had the best wet weather traction.

Might also want to check out www.discounttire.com

Mike

mschwall@flash.net