Re: Rear axle/Service Annoyance!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:56:38 EST

> 1. Should I risk them getting overspray everywhere and
> have them paint the axle?

Is this a dealer who is doing the repair work? Just curious, but why have
them paint the axle? Are you into Show&Shine Competitions or something? I
could be wrong also.......but do newer Daks have painted
axles?????????????????

> 2. Isn't there supposed to be a gasket for the pumpkin cap
> and if so, why did they use sealant?

There are gasket available I am sure, but good ole' RTV gasket maker is what
comes from the factory and what is used when doing diff repair work to seal
up the diff cover.

> 3. Do I go back to these guys to let them try to make it better or go to
another dealership in town and see if they'll rectify it?

You mean the 'painted axle' thing again? Check around first to see if other
axle are acually painted. Are you sure you are not mistaking black rustproof
undercoating for paint??????

> 4. Did I get a lemon (I'm also on my third transmission) and should I
sell my truck before my regular warranty expires (got the 60K extended, but
not sure I want to start paying deductibles if its going to do stuff like
this to me)?

> Sorry for the long message. I appreciate any help/advice
> you can offer.

Third tranny too???? I would call a talk with a DC service rep. My tranny
the original one and is works great at 118,000 miles. GOOD LUCK!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6