Re: Rear axle/Service Annoyance!

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 13:41:34 EST

Thanks for the reply Kyle. My responses follow yours:

--- Kyle Kozubal <grndak4x4@home.com> wrote:
> > 1. Should I risk them getting overspray everywhere and
> > have them paint the axle?
>
> Is this a dealer who is doing the repair work? Just
> curious, but why have
> them paint the axle? Are you into Show&Shine Competitions
> or something? I
> could be wrong also.......but do newer Daks have painted
> axles?????????????????

Yes, the dealer doing the repair work. The thing about the
axle is that it is BARE steel; looks fine now, but how's it
going to hold up to rust? Original equipment was black and
I didn't pay extra for an undercoating, so I assume it was
painted. I also found myself behind a brand new quad cab
this morning on the commute and noticed that its rear axle
was definitely a shiny black which sounds like paint to me,
not undercoating. So do I wait 'til it rusts, paint it or
undercoat it myself, or take it back to the dealer?

> > 2. Isn't there supposed to be a gasket for the pumpkin
> cap
> > and if so, why did they use sealant?
>
> There are gasket available I am sure, but good ole' RTV
> gasket maker is what
> comes from the factory and what is used when doing diff
> repair work to seal
> up the diff cover.

OK, that's what I needed to know. Guess I can't complain
about that then . . . except for the sloppiness.

> > 3. Do I go back to these guys to let them try to make
> it better or go to
> another dealership in town and see if they'll rectify it?
>
> You mean the 'painted axle' thing again? Check around
> first to see if other
> axle are acually painted. Are you sure you are not
> mistaking black rustproof
> undercoating for paint??????

see 1.

> > 4. Did I get a lemon (I'm also on my third
> transmission) and should I
> sell my truck before my regular warranty expires (got the
> 60K extended, but
> not sure I want to start paying deductibles if its going
> to do stuff like
> this to me)?
> >

> Third tranny too???? I would call a talk with a DC
> service rep. My tranny
> the original one and is works great at 118,000 miles.
> GOOD LUCK!!!
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Yeah, for some reason I got two 'fluke' trannies in a row
(the original didn't have a seal installed--threw all the
oil into the clutch--and the second one just locked up on
me) shortly after I bought the truck, but this third one
has been great. I'm just not sure I want to gamble and
find out what else is 'fluke' on the truck.

Thanks,

=====
JY
Vegas '98 Jade Metallic 4x4 CC 5.2L 5spd 3.55 LSD
Po'boy Intake, F&B TB, Gibson single 3" cat-bak, spray-in liner, & too much sound equip to bore you with . . . L8R