Re[2]: Dying batteries

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 09:51:11 EST

I wouldn't have believed this had I not experienced it, but I had a slow start
and stalling condition on my '98 318 in extremely cold weather ( < 10 deg. F).

I took it into the dealer figuring I had a bum battery (slow start) and/or a
faulty IAC (stalling)... They tested the heck out of everything and found no
problems. What they did do was clean the battery terminals thoroughly and seal
them with that red goop. We only had a couple of days below 10F subsequent to
the "cleaning" but there was absolutely no sign of the problems I was having
before.

The best explanation I've heard as to why this worked is because the 'puters and
sensors are extremely sensitive and must have the proper voltage in order to
function properly. Apparently the small reduction in voltage caused by the
corrosion was enough to throw everything off.

I can't vouch for the veracity of this explanation but I can say a simple
cleaning worked in my case.
Tom