Re: REAL Cold Air intake for 97-99 Dakotas

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 13:08:56 EST

We've looked at these and most of us (who have) are in agreement: Don't
Bother.

However, it does look like they changed their design a little bit.

Here's some information to consider:
(1) "The Conical Filter with the inverted tips flow LESS that the standard
6x9 cone. We just sell them to the import people because they want that
'look'." (Quote from three different K&N techs on different occasions.)
(2) The filter cover isn't designed correctly for the actual filter. (The
conical filters draw most of the air from the base...not the tip - verified
by K&N and a simple smoke test).
(3) Notice that the case being used is steel (which absorbs heat and holds
it in).
(4) K&N Gen-II Design uses a plastic compound which keeps the intake system
cool (that's what you want anyway). Paxton and Vortech use plastic intake
tube as well just because of this reason.

It is a free country so you can do whatever you like...just my $0.02 on
their product.

- Bernd