Re: Re: Re: Rancho 5000s

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 11:19:09 EST

> Kyle,
> I'm not good at math but from my calculations the shocks have 80,000
> miles on them? I'd expect them to be shot.
> I believe all rancho shocks come with urethane bushings (now atleast).
> For offroading, I'm not sure why you'd want urethane. It certainly
> shouldn't a requirement but I doubt you've put 80K offroad miles on the
> truck ;)
> Old Man Emu makes a nice shock. I believe its made for them by
bilstein
> but dont hold me to that. Its a funky schoolbus yellow too.
> I have the RS9000s model 9012 all the way around and I love them. 18"
> of travel is hard to find these days! The shock is longer compressed than
> the old one was extended.

Dave, I am glad you like your Ranchos. Rancho RS5000s do still come with
rubber bushings, as mine did which wore out in 10,000 miles. True, my shocks
do need replacement, for about 40,000 miles they have. Good to know also
your Ranchos have 18" of travel....too bad the Dak doesnt even have half
that though. Shocks do limit suspsension travel alot, and I bet yours do not
at all, so that is a good bonus point of running the good ole 9012 shocks. I
want urethane bushings for the reliability factor and longer life aspect.
You dont understand why I would want urethane bushings?????? I know all
about the rubber/urethane debate asnd have read plenty of articles on both.
For me and me Dak, this debate doesnt apply. My Dak doesnt go out and do
extreme flex on a RTI ramp, 4wheel in Moab, so having worn out flexible
rubber doesnt matter to me. For me and my needs with my Dak, when the rubber
bushings get so worn out in 1 year they are nonexistant in the bushings
housing and are literally fallings apart....rubber is not the way to go. The
urethane urethane bushings I replaced the rubber ones with on my Rancho
shocks are still in great condition, so I will never buy another shock that
doesnt come with urethane bushings already on them. I do see your points
about needing new shocks, which I completely agree with. I just havent been
happy with my shocks for along time now. Bilsteins are on the list....
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6