Re: Speed Density to MAF

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 18:36:36 EST

ABeerCan@aol.com wrote:

> Ok, since the Dakota's run a speed density system, wouldn't I be correct in
> saying that all the head work, intake work, and other work helps, but cannot
> reach its full potential?

Kudos - a very good question. I want to just say yes you are correct (easy out)
BUT... if you be very creative, you can indeed work within this system.
Afterall, there are Rams and Dakotas out there running low 12s (all motor) with
that same speed density system - even using the stock computer. More on that
later.... 8-)

> I know that they have done this to the mid 80's
> mustangs (the 5.slows), so is there a conversion kit that would allow one to
> convert the Dakota from speed density to MAF?

No that I know of.

> Speed density relies on a
> preset factory value based on air temp, tps reading, etc...

Bingo (oops the cat is getting out of the bag...)

> MAF actually
> measures the amount of air entering the intake. So theorectically, I think,
> wouldn't all the intake/exhuast mods perform better if the Dak-a-do were
> converted to a MAF system?

True that a MAF based system would respond better - the current system kinda
fights you dont it? MAP vs MAF are both getting the amount of air entering the
cylinder(s) - MAF measures it directly and MAP computes it based on other
sensors measurements. They both have a basis in actual measurements - one
directly and the other indirectly. <hes trying to throw me off now.... or is
he?> Hint: MAP is much more accurate and flexible in the long run - afterall,
study the aftermarket systems - how many use MAF as default?

> Just something I thought I would bounce off the
> abstract wall.

Thanks for it! I dont know about you but I'm just loving it 8-)

> Will
> Cylindrically challenged V-6
> Spraying and Praying it stays together

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam w/lots of mods (mine)
'96 IndyRam w/lots of options (wifes) - also a numbered (#142) "Track Truck"