RE: Cams?

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 23:58:56 EST

Just for info purposes, there are two specs for cam duration, the well know
"advertised" duration and the actual duration. The actual, or true duration
is the duration measured from .050" of valve lift at opening, and .050" of
valve lift at closing (off the seat). There could be two cams listed as
270/270 advertised duration, but have durations of 221/221 at .050, and
224/224 at .050". The 221 would have a slightly rough idle and the 224
would have a slight lope to the idle in a 318. Don't always go by the
advertised duration, the actual, or .050" of valve lift duration is the
actual valve event duration. That is what you want to look at when
selecting a cam.

Anything less than 270 advertised duration, or 221 at .050" duration will
not give a "racy" idle. The 221 at .050" would give a slight hint to a hot
cam. It is noticeable, but not pronounced. A 224 at .050" would be a good
choice if you were looking for the race car like idle with an improved top
end. Make sure you get a high lobe center (centerline) like 112 or 114
when you get up in the duration. You will loose a little more bottom end
with the higher centerline, but it won't confuse the computer too bad.

With the cams listed, you must have proper rear end gearing to get te
engine in the cam's power band. A 224 cam in a 318 would have power from
approx 2-6K RPMs. Gear appropriately. Also, if stock exhaust is on, get a
dual profile cam, like the one's you listed. A 218-220 to 224 at .050"
would be a good choice. If you have headers, true duals, and god flowing
mufflers/cats, then go with a single profile, straight 224 at ,050" or
whatever you like.

All cam companies will tell you the duration at .050" of valve lift, it's
just not as popular as the advertised duration. Most of your racing cam
suppliers list both as well as valve lift, overlap, and lobe center.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net