Re: Drivetrain Loss

From: Sean Bruckman (bruckman@urisp.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 14:58:27 EST

Those numbers are not really accurate, Phil. As i understand it, the basic
formula is thus:

15% for a modern manual
20% for a modern automatic

then add 5% if it is rear wheel drive and add another 5% if it is a old
musclecar or something.

But it's important to note that these numbers are just a general
guideline... the loss can increase or decrease based on what the exact
configuration is, and what quality of components are used, etc. Actually,
an exact scientific percentage can never be determined because at different
points in the operation of the vehicle the loss can change. (engine speed,
gear, position of the moon)

What the basic percentage gives you is a rough estimate of what you will
lose at PEAK horsepower. Keep in mind that the racing industry would have
better loss percentages than what is considered okay to have in say... a
stock pickup truck.

Hope that makes sense/helps.

Sean Bruckman