Re: Self Rescue Suggestions Please

From: BeasTboyz (beastboyz@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 03:55:54 EST

Todd, i'm glad to see your concerned for your safety :)
I have been into jeeps for quite some time and know a thing or two about
extraction (if ya know what I mean) an electric winch is very nice, but i
can understand not being able to justify the extra couple hundred. The idea
of a long/hand winch is good, but 4,000 isn't enough, a good rule of thumb
is to take the weight of your truck and multiply it by 1.5, and that is the
pulling power you need. so with a cc weighing around 4000, u need 6000lbs
just to be on the safe side, u can manage this with a snatch block (pully)
and your 4000 lb hand winch, if you take the cable and run it out to the
pully tried to a tree and back to the truck u can make pulling capacity
8000lbs. Now that winch is only good if you have something to hook it up
to, that means a tree, boulder, something heavy, or a pullpal
(www.pullpal.com) I think i know what u mean when u say farm jack, something
like this? (http://www.offroad-accessories.com/hi-lift/casting.htm) And as
far as CB goes, a big whopping antenna isn't always the best, but the
antenna's length should be about 2/3rd above the cab of the truck. When u
get the cb, buy a quality brand (i.e. cobra) and get it tuned at a specialty
cb shop, the antenna length needs to be tuned to your cb radio for maximum
efficiency/distance/clarity. any more questions or suggestions lemme know.

Matt
(BeasTboyz)