Self Rescue Suggestions Please

From: Todd Abernathy (t_abernathy7@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 00:59:24 EST

Okay, so I've ordered my CC,4X4,Sport and this summer I'm taking her to
Alaska. From what I've read road and weather conditions can get pretty
nasty even in summer. I want to be able to do self rescue, but I just
can't spend a lot of money on gear. This is what I'm thinking:
1. A come-a-long/hand winch rated for 4 tons. Is that enough pull for
most situations ? (I just can't justify spending a few hundred for an
electric winch I may never need.)
2. 50' of rope/cable rated up to 15,000 lbs, about three time vehicle
weight for safety factor.
3. A bumper/farm jack, if I can find one that will work with the Dakota
bumpers.
4. C.B. with big whopping antenna, just in case.
Is there anything I'm forgetting ? Any suggestions about brand names to
look at or avoid ?
All comment would be welcomed. Thanks.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.