Re: Re: Self Rescue Suggestions Please

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 17:37:30 EST

At 12:55 AM 2/17/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Todd, i'm glad to see your concerned for your safety :)
>I have been into jeeps for quite some time and know a thing or two about
>extraction (if ya know what I mean) an electric winch is very nice, but i
>can understand not being able to justify the extra couple hundred. The idea
>of a long/hand winch is good, but 4,000 isn't enough, a good rule of thumb
>is to take the weight of your truck and multiply it by 1.5, and that is the
>pulling power you need. so with a cc weighing around 4000, u need 6000lbs
>just to be on the safe side, u can manage this with a snatch block (pully)
>and your 4000 lb hand winch, if you take the cable and run it out to the
>pully tried to a tree and back to the truck u can make pulling capacity
>8000lbs. Now that winch is only good if you have something to hook it up
>to, that means a tree, boulder, something heavy, or a pullpal
>(www.pullpal.com) I think i know what u mean when u say farm jack, something
>like this? (http://www.offroad-accessories.com/hi-lift/casting.htm) And as
>far as CB goes, a big whopping antenna isn't always the best, but the
>antenna's length should be about 2/3rd above the cab of the truck. When u
>get the cb, buy a quality brand (i.e. cobra) and get it tuned at a specialty
>cb shop, the antenna length needs to be tuned to your cb radio for maximum
>efficiency/distance/clarity. any more questions or suggestions lemme know.
>
>Matt

Good suggestions. Just make sure the weight you use to figure out winch
capacity is the total weight of the vehicle and all gear you plan to have
in the truck at one time. Get a minimum of 100' of 3/4" or 5/8" rope or
comparable cable. Also, plan for a location with no trees or other strong
objects to use to get yourself pulled out. If you have access to a good
5lb hammer and an arc welder, get some 3/4" rebar and cut it to four foot
lengths, bent one end over to form a loop, and weld the end to the bar -
make a letter "P" out of one end of the rebar so you can attach your cable
or rope to it after you've pounded it into the ground. Grind a point on
the end that goes into the ground. Works pretty good, pulled a 4500lb Ferd
out with that custom job two times. Wouldn't hurt to use 1 inch rebar
either, just a little harder to pound in, but won't deform as easily when
driving it into hard ground.

Just some thoughts,

Mike

mschwall@flash.net