Re: Self Rescue Suggestions Please

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 11:55:47 EST

> Okay, so I've ordered my CC,4X4,Sport and this summer I'm taking her to
> Alaska. From what I've read road and weather conditions can get pretty
> nasty even in summer. I want to be able to do self rescue, but I just
> can't spend a lot of money on gear. This is what I'm thinking:
> 1. A come-a-long/hand winch rated for 4 tons. Is that enough pull for
> most situations ? (I just can't justify spending a few hundred for an
> electric winch I may never need.)
> 2. 50' of rope/cable rated up to 15,000 lbs, about three time vehicle
> weight for safety factor.
> 3. A bumper/farm jack, if I can find one that will work with the Dakota
> bumpers.
> 4. C.B. with big whopping antenna, just in case.
> Is there anything I'm forgetting ? Any suggestions about brand names to
> look at or avoid ?
> All comment would be welcomed. Thanks.

Without a doubt, do not waste your money on a come-a-long. Get a Hi-Lift
jack, you can find them on sale in 4WD magazines for around $45-$50. Hi-Lift
jacks are rated at 7,000 pounds, good size for our Daks. You can use a
Hi-Lift to jack up the truck to stuff branches, logs, etc underneath to help
get out if you become stuck. Hi-Lifts can also be used as a 'winch' by
hooking up a chain to one side of the jack where the top is(attached to a
tree, another truck, etc) and attaching a chain from your truck to the lift
arm. Then crank up the jack as if you were jacking up your truck. It will
take longer than an electric winch, but when done right, will be just as
effective. Chain is good and all, but like anything else, chain does fail. I
keep a 25ft piece of long chain(with HEAVY DUTY hooks at each end) in a 50MM
ammo can(which are nice because they are heavy duty and waterproof) and a
10ft piece of log chain in a 30MM ammo can, once again with heavy duty hooks
at each end. I only keep the 30MM can in my tool box year round and take the
50MM ammo can with me when I go 4wheelin. I really like tow straps though. I
have 3-4 straps, rated at 30,000 pounds each. Each strap is around 20feet
long. Year round I also carry a nice little spade shovel from Home Depot. It
is a mere 30 inches long, from end to end, but is nice and solid and very
small to store in my tool box. You might want to carry a variety of tools,
wrenches, fliuds(oil, gear fluid, windsheild washer fluid, ATF, etc). Also,
dont forget a good solid recovery point, in both the front and rear of your
Dak. Dont forget to buy/carry with you somee heavy duty screw pin
clevis/shackles, which will help attaching and customizing your recovery
needs. A Class III Hitch works great in the rear with a tow ring from
Northern Tools:
http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=28679&
prmenbr=6970
I have used this ring alot and love it. As far as CBs are concerned, you
might want to look at this site, and get some reconditioned CBs at really
good prices:
http://www.uniden.com/
For antennas are concerned, bigger is not better here. You need to get an
antenna which is good quality, take it fom me dont cheap out here. I love my
current setup using all high quality Firestik products, take at look at what
they offer. They are also VERY informative and hlpeful when choosing a
correct setup: http://www.firestik.com/
You might want to invest in a cellular phone. Most places run really really
good deals, I am currently paying $30 a month and can have 300 calling
minutes. I never come anywhere close to that though. Just in case, if no one
if answereing the CB, a cell phone will work good. Might also want to pick
up a First Aid Kit and a good fire extinguisher, just in case things get
ugly. Any things else....I am sure......
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6