Re: Octane Booster Advice

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:47:24 EST

At 12:42 PM 2/18/00 -1000, you wrote:
>Thanks for the post. I'm not sure I've digested the whole thing...
>My head's spinning now...but, I would like more info if you find some.

I know what you mean. It's like sniffing gasoline vapours over a long
period of time. If I find that URL on the octane boosters, I'll post
it.

>Question: Other than trying to get rid of pinging or pre-ignition, then
>it seems that there is no "real" benefit to higher octane. Right?

Higher octane ratings allow engines with high compression and/or advanced
timing setups (which equals increased performance) to operate without
detonation. An example would be the MP Dakota PCMs which alter the fuel/air
map and advance the timing. Running with an MP PCM on 87 octane would
normally
result in pinging whereas it should run with 92 without pinging.

>I've set up my Dyno date for Tuesday. I'm going to test stock air box
>vs. 10" FABM set-up while I'm at it. I'll let you know results after
>testing. I'm looking for 210 RWHP...

If I remember your mods, you should be there or very close to it.
Good luck.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.