Re: Re[4]: milage

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 14:45:10 EST

> Well, yeah. But this is beside the point of my post... I admitted it
probably
> wouldn't cause any immediate damage and I sure hope whoever engineered the
> piece took into account that somebody might *accidentally* run out of
fuel.

> My point was, why would you want to do this in the first place?
Secondarily,
> since the piece was engineered to rely on fuel submersion to function on a
> long-term basis, I still contend running your tank dry is not good for the
unit
> in general.
> Tom

I second Tom on this point. Trust me, after gone through 3 fuel pump
module(I am now on my 4th) in 118,000 miles, you do not want to have your
pump die on you, especially when you are on a hunting trip 300 miles fom
home.....it is not fun trust me. After the first two pumps were replaced
under warranty, I did the last 2. It is not a hard job to drop the tank,
replace the parts, etc.......just for the fact of not having a 100% reliable
truck I dont like. This last time I did the fuel pump module replacement, I
talked with several ASE Master Tech and asked them what I can try
differently. First off, they highly recommended not running the tank down
below 1/4 tank, 1/8 of a tank at the most. Secondly, they all said gas not
not provided fuel, but acts as a lubricator and a cooling agent for fuel
pumps. Lastly, they also said to replace the fuel filter ever 20,000 miles.
The more clogged the filter gets, the harder the pump has to work the pump
the gas. My fuel pump module now whirls/hums very loud(louder than it even
has) and I am confident I wont be replacing one ever again. The last one has
been in for 20,000 miles now, and I think the average is around 35-40,000
miles the pumps have lasted in the past. I have always replaced the fuel
filter every 20,000 miles anyways, and every time I cut it open and am
amazed how dirty the fitler actually gets. You wouldnt believe the amount of
dirt I found in the bottom of my gas tank last time I had it
degrease/cleaned when doing this last fuel pump module change.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6