Mopar Crate Engines (lengthy)

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 16:09:08 EST

Sorry! Wrong engine compression (575HP Wedge). According to Koller parts
it is the 9.0:1 compression. This was taken from the catalog of Koller
Dodge.

"For those who want more horsepower, Mopar Performance Parts offers an even
hotter Magnum 380. The Magnum family of engines is at a higher level of
development than any of our past engines, even without modifications. This
allows larger horsepower gains to be achieved with similar changes. The
Magnum 380 crate motor head is a swirl port design that has smaller
combustion chambers and a higher compression ratio (nominal 9.0:1. Different
intake and exhaust port sizing flows more air without modifications to the
cylinder heads. Breathing is enhanced with 1.925" intake valves and 1.625"
exhaust valves. Overall package of smaller valves and better ports flow more
air. Next, we slide in our .501"/.513" lift, 288292 degree duration
hydraulic roller camshaft, add a 4BBL carbureted M1(r) single plane intake
manifold (with bosses over each runner for future MPI). We add special valve
springs and a double roller timing chain as well as an MPP electronic
distributor. The distinctive Mopar cast valve covers with 10 screws are
added to the package, with an oil pan (center sump) similar to the Commando
engines. It is recommended you add your own 750 cfm Holley carb and headers
to complete the package. Dyno testing with a 750 cfm carb and 17/8" headers
show horsepower output to be 380+ at 5300 RPM. Torque output is 410+ lb/ft
at 4400 RPM, with over 350 lb/ft available from 2000 to 5700 RPM. Install a
completely new (not rebuilt) Magnum engine assembly and have more power than
even the "Muscle Car Era" small blocks had!

PART NUMBER FROM MOPAR CATALOG: P5249499 380 HP V8 Magnum 380 Engine
Assembly"

Currently this engine is sold out and the lesser one is going for $ 2999.00
(300HP).

When I talking to RAD they said, the highest you can go, if you want CA
emission is the 426HEMI (rated at 465HP). Problem maybe the center sump pan
may interfere with your chassis cross member frame. This is the note on the
website explaining minor details (which I call major ones here in CA):
"Note: 9:1 compression ratio allows the use of current high octane pump
gasoline and yet the total package makes more power than the original
production version. Note: Hemi Crate Motors which change the emissions
performance of the vehicle may not be legal for use on vehicles regulated
for highway use in California and other states. Purchaser must sign Purchase
Agreement stating engines are for off-road vehicles only."
Good luck.
Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD,MCTSSA