Re: Wheels

From: Jetmugg@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 08:24:16 EST

<< I'd love to get the 17" wheels, but after speaking with a local Tire
 warehouse I'm unsure. I'm looking at $190-$230 per wheel, then I gotta buy
 the tires, which seem to go for about $160-$190 a piece. Does this seem
 reasonable to DMLers?

 Again let me say that my original intention was to fill in the wheel well
 area. The dealer told me that 16" wouldn't make much of a difference in
 terms of looks...that's why I've been lookin at the 17"s. Has anyone
 installed 16"s?

 From what I have seen on the net, many of you simply stick with 15"
 wheels....now maybe I know why $$$$$$$$ :-). I'm thinkin all that $ can be
 spent on a custom TB, or maybe a tonneau cover, cat back......

 Thanks for the feedback though....How'd you come across factory seconds? I
 went to the TIRERACK and American Racing sites and I thought that the
 selections were limited.
<<

Simply increasing the diameter of the wheels will not fill up the wheelwells
any more than they currently are. In order to fill up the wheelwells more,
you need to increase the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination, or
alternatively, lower the truck. In most cases, when people install 17"
wheels, they also install lower profile tires, which results in an overall
diameter very close to what they had with 15" wheels. There are also many
more tire sizes available in 15" than there are in 17", which makes it easier
to play around with widths and aspect ratios, to get the width and overall
diameter that you are looking for.

SteveM