Re: Wheels

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 08:55:36 EST

hoegen wrote:

> I'd love to get the 17" wheels, but after speaking with a local Tire
> warehouse I'm unsure. I'm looking at $190-$230 per wheel, then I gotta buy
> the tires, which seem to go for about $160-$190 a piece. Does this seem
> reasonable to DMLers?

Only for the real high-end tires. Do some shopping - Goodyear Eagle GTII in a
275-60-17 runs about $58 a piece. I cant really recommend them tho because they
wear pretty quickly. These are the same tires that come factory on all IndyRams
and I believe even DakRTs (or is that SSTs). Anyway, I run BFG CompTAs which
were $106 a piece. Both tires perform similiar for the first 5-10k miles then
the Goodyears seem to start wearing bad. My BFGs have over 60k on them and
still look brand new. Recently I had a ins. claims adjuster replace a tire and
rim that got nicked in an accident. They didn't depreciate the tire any at all
and even said "Those are brand new tires huh?" - I replied "yep". Go to any
car show and do a survey of the tires being used. You will be surprised to find
that well over half (unless its a ricer show) will have CompTAs or at least
RadialTAs. These guys spend alot of money on their rides - they must know
something.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"