A/C Compressor failure!

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 23:15:20 EST

Well, we're gettin a lil warm in eastern Kansas today, and I started to use
my A/C again. I turn it to "MAX A/C" and full blast on the fan speed
selection and I notice it isn't really blowing out cold air (outside air was
cooler than the air coming out the vents) so I left it on for the drive on
the highway home (20 minutes) and it didn't get better. I get home, pop the
hood and notice the relay that "locks" the pully isn't hooked up so I hooked
it up and started it. I notice the pully spinning agian and go "yay!"

I leave it there for about 15 seconds and walk around to feel the air coming
out of the vents and my sister goes "hey, something under your hood is
burning" I went to the hood and saw gobs of 134a? freon blowin out hte back
of the compressor. or maybe it wasn't the freon because it wasn't cold.
Condensation from leaving it on?

Did I over heat the compressor by leaving it on? I mean... the pully was
free wheeling and never caught on. The place where it leaks is a area in the
back where a plate is bolted onto the compressor and there's a gasket there.
I temporarily JB-Welded it and will test it tomorrow, but how much do one of
these new pumps cost (rebuild possible?)
-Dester