RE: X-Mailer: USANET web-mailer (M3.3.1.96)

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 14:17:51 EST

Hey Sarge...
Sounds like you may have already found the source of your power loss.
Those holes in the headers/muffler could be enough to reduce the
backpressure to a level that will drive down your performance.

Replacements? Well like anything, it depends on how much you want to spend!?
Gibson makes a nice exhaust system (catback) but it is a little $$ (same for
the Borla, but even more $$$). You could just get a Flowmaster muffler, and
put it on with your old pipes (but it sounds like you're due for a complete
new exhaust). Headers, a few options out there, primarily
Mopar/Thorley/Leech (Thorley & Leech fabricate the Mopar Perf. headers) for
full length headers. JBA for shorty style headers. Hooker was also making
headers for Dakotas for a while, don't know if they still are.

A '93 with 127K is probably ready for a bit more work too, just to keep it
really peppy. Think about new plugs, good plug wires, upgraded coil, new cap
& rotor. Clean the TB, and or tear down to the heads and replace the head
gaskets? A nice drink of fresh Mobil 1?

You can beat on these trucks for a long time... but eventually they want a
little attention. A little time and $$ now will get you a lot more happy
miles out of that '93.

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI