From: Sarge (vsarge@netscape.net)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 11:35:54 EST

Hey DMLers,

I've got a 1993 4x4 with the 3.9 in it with 127K miles on right now. It has
been a great truck so far even though I have very truthfully abused it the
entire time. Now I'm beginning to pay for that and would like some thoughts
from the list.

Power seems to have dropped considerably. Up to about 8 months ago I could
smoke the back tires in first/second and chirp in third (new it actually
smoked third also). It pings under acceleration but not WOT. Top end sounds a
little noiser than before also. The exhaust has developed a small leak in the
headers and one small hole in the muffler.

Any suggestions on what to look for on the power loss? Any recommendations on
replacing the exhaust? I'm looking to stay fairly low buck as my daily driver
is a motorcycle. Currently only things non-stock are: K&N air filter, Ranch
RS5000 shocks, new all metal radiator.

BTW I broke the same shock bolt that was addressed earlier and an easier way
to replace it was with a dremel tool. The dremel bit followed the bolt as it
was slightly softer than the chassis. Total time was about 45 minutes.
Peronally I would (and did) replace it with a grade 5 vice grade 8. 8's are
high tensile but lower shear and shock bolts experience high shear forces.

Thanks
Sarge