One of them days

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 22:51:19 EST

Well folks, as I sit here drinkin' beer, going over the days events, and
trying to relax, I wanted to let ya'll know about my day. After work today
I went to the dealer to pick up my truck after having new carpet
installed. Windshield leaked and got the carpet soaked. After being on
order for over a month, the carpet finally came in and had it installed.

On the way home from the dealer, I got stuck in typical Oklahoma
traffic. Two lanes, 65 in a 70, both lanes going same speed. I'm
following a late eighties/early nineties Chebby Silverado. I come over a
hill behind the Chebby, following close to 1 1/2 car lengths behind, and I
see white tire smoke coming from the Chebby. I slam the brakes and try to
steer to the left to go into the median, but the front wheels were locked
and I couldn't turn and slammed into the back of the Chebby. Air bag went
off, instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree. After the impact I
could finally turn off the road to prevent an ass end collision on top of
the a frontal. It happened too quick and I was too close with no advance
warning since I couldn't see over or around the Chebby in front of me, all
I could do was mash the brakes. Fronts locked, rears didn't, but can't
steer with locked front wheels.

Cab filled with air bag propellant smoke and talcum powder. Had to roll
down both windows to breath. Opened the driver door and it made a
unhealthy creaking sound. Took a look at the front and saw a pretty
FUBARed truck. Condenser and radiator were both punctured, front grill was
where the radiator normally sits, hood was buckled up, and pushed in a good
foot. Bumper was pushed down, about five inches from where it's supposed
to be. Both turn signals were completely destroyed, headlights were intact
but cracked. Both fenders were buckled in the middle, and the paint came
off like potato chips, solid curved pieces. Very weird paint on it. About
.040" thick and silver on one side and forest green on the other. Body
shop guy was going to take a DA to it tomorrow and see how many coats are
on. He says it might have been repainted due to assembly line damage,
shipping damage, or dealer lot damage.

I have stock 215 tires on it and the fenders were rubbing the tires on the
front side. It did a number on it. Brand new truck, bought it on December
18th of last year. It was built in January of '99.

Not a good day for me folks. I'm ok. My nose and chest bother me from the
air bag impact, and my knees bother me from hitting the dash. I was
wearing my seat belt, but still slid up enough to wack the dash with my
knees. I'm 6'5" so I have about 4-5 inch gap between my knees and dash
normally. I'm glad I had the passenger airbag off.

My advice is to practice hard braking folks. Even though your equipped
with rear anti-locks, it does no good when the front locks. If the fronts
lock, you can't steer, you can turn the wheel, but you'll still go
straight, as I found out.

What a day. Time for another beer

I had the truck towed to Bob Howard Dodge, a five star dealer, only to find
out they don't have a body shop there, so I had to go to their recommended
shop that they have all their body work done at. From the outside it looks
like a San Antonio West side shop. Real old crappy exterior, nothing
fancy. Onc inside I see a $50,000 frame machine, and a very expensive
forced downdraft heated paint booth. After talking to the owner, find out
the body and paint work is guaranteed for seven years, and he will use all
Dodge parts since it's so new, no aftermarket parts. Paint will be PPG
urethane base coat clear coat, with 165 degree F baking. So it looks like
the Dak is in good hands. I will have pictures. The shop owner wants to
document the repair process. It's one of those type wrecks :)

Well folks, have a good one, if you don't drink one for me, I'll cover ya'hh :)

Mike

PS For those that want to know about the Chebby, looking from the side, the
truck body was V shaped. Rear window was blown out, not broke, blown out
into the bed. Briefcase behind the driver seat was crushed. Bed pushed
into the cab putting a good 1 inch dent where it hit. Guy had one of those
fiberglass sport bumpers and it did no good. Frame protruded through it
and it's what did the damage to by front end. Tail gate was bent, but
still intact. He could drive away. Frame didn't look bent, looks like the
bed was bent on the body mounts. It looked weird, front and rear end were
higher than the center.

mschwall@flash.net