2000 Dak Brake Problem?

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 15:49:21 EST

Finally got my truck back!

Many have asked about the problem with the brakes. So I'll try to describe
it:

There was a metal scraping sound. It was constant, but somewhat speed
dependent. So it sounded pretty clear that it must be brake or wheel
related. I also considered interference with the driveshaft. The sound
was there since new. It was raining during the testdrive and driving away.
I can't believe they didn't discover it at the dealership during check in
and prep.

I drove it 700 miles before I brought it in to the dealer. After driving
slowly near a block wall it became pretty clear it was coming from the rear
passenger wheel or brake. It keep raining everyday I was home so I
couldn't check it out myself. There seemed to be no effect on the quality
of braking. It did feel like there was some drag, especially in reverse.
I averaged 14.3 mpg for the two tanks prior to the service and 15.6 mpg
since. Could just be break in on the engine.

The dealer said the backing plate was rubbing the drum. It had torn the
drum up pretty good and contaminated the brake parts with metal shavings.
Everything needed to be replaced and of course you have to pull the axle to
r&r the backing plate. The problem in terms of time at the dealer was
because two of the parks are never changed (the backing plate and something
else they didn't specify), so they aren't always carried in the parts
inventory. The problem is easy to spot by removing the rear drums. If its
advanced you may even be able see evidence from underneathe and behind
without removing the wheel and drum.

The dealer denied he'd ever seen another Dak with the problem. I've heard
of at least two others, though, with the same symptoms. The truck is 4.7L
auto CC. It has the 3.92's w/SG and the tire and handling package. Its
set up for towing.

Steve Ekstrand, Pasadena, CA Driver: '00 Dakota CC SLT+ 4.7L 3.92SG 255's
Stacey's Driver: '00 Inferno Red Intrepid ES-3.2L-24V Autostick w/Leather
Race Car: 69 1/2 Road Runner 440-6 (ex-NHRA SS/GA future B or C/SA???)
Project Car: 69 Barracuda Notchback (Orig. 318, now 360w/Edelbrock Heads)
Homepage: http://sites.netscape.net/professormopar/homepage