Re: Re: M1 MPI Alternative?

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 18:48:39 EST

Jon Smith wrote:

> I started to post something along these lines this am but didn't... in the
> issue of this Mopar Muscle, they mention (power tip #5) 2 different intakes
> to swap onto these motors. A dual-plane and a single-plane, the later being
> better known as an M1 intake, the dual-plane (PN# P5249500)
>
> Can anyone inform us as to what this dual-plane manifold is? They (MM) do
> mention that both intakes must have the injector bosses drilled out.

Sure - it is the intake that comes on the 300hp 360 crate motor. There are
several pictures on the web. The P5249500 (dual plane) and the P5249501 (single
plane) were the only two intakes available for the magnum motor (via MP parts
program) before the MPI came out. They are both referred to as an M1 intake.
The '501 part is what comes on the 380hp 360 crate motor. The MPI is basically
EXACTLY the same as the '501 part number with the addition of the TB adapter and
has the injector bosses already drilled. Before the MPI came out - those who
wanted to upgrade just bought the '500 and '501 and drilled them themselves
(pretty easy using the old intake as a pattern). Most would guess that the dual
plane model would be a better fit for our trucks because it has always been
known that a dual plane is better for low end torque. Not so said the article -
because of the port FI they said the single plane was better... A company
called RC Engineering (I think) used to specialize in just that. The article
"inductive reasoning" that came out in late '97 had a reference to it as well as
a picture of their product already drilled and fitted with a modified Holley
4bbl throttle body (sweet!). One interesting thing they had also was an air
foil that would fit over the stock 2bbl TB kinda like the ones you see for sale
all the time for chivvys and ferds. They said the air foil was good for 5hp and
was a 5 min drop-in install. I can dig up the info if anyone is interested.
Not sure how much it was.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"