Re: Flowmaster: Delta Flow? Mufflers....

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 07:42:40 EST

I've got the Flowmaster catalog and the "delta-flow" is simply three angled
pieces of metal welded in series inside the muffler... The hype (or claim) by
the manuf. is improved scavenging and less sound as compared to non-delta flows
(like mine). The metal plates look like this:

                              /\
                            / \
                          / \
                         / /\ \
                       / / \ \
                      / / \ \
                    / / /\ \ \
                   / / / \ \ \
                  / / / \ \ \

I know, I know, ASCII sucks for this kind of stuff and the above looks more
like a mountain or some trees, but each of the /\ is supposed to be a metal
plate if you were looking down on it. Hence the "delta" /\ name...

I bought their cat-back which included the old-style 3 chamber and I am very
pleased with it. It's not too loud nor too soft, just a nice pleasant rumble
from my V8. I didn't want anything too loud so as not to scare off all the
critters when I'm in the woods. As far as performance goes, I dunno. --It
sure sounds more powerful. ;-)
Tom