Durango headers in Dak R/T

From: George Hernandez (geoh@texas.net)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 22:16:50 EST

>Since I'm going to eliminate the cat(gasp!), the
>single in, single out should be easier to connect with just a straight
>pipe(or racing muffler if that's too loud).
>Has anyone done this?
I installed the Hooker headers on my R/T. They were actually meant for the
'98 5.2
The actual headers both came in from the top and took me a couple of hours
to swap in. Easiest header swap I've ever done.

>Anyone foresee any obstacles/problems?
Big problem. I couldn't use the Hooker y-pipe. It would NOT fit around the
tranny. So I had to build a another y-pipe that I made out of 2.5 pipe. I
liked my design MUCH better. Bigger pipe and a more direct path to the y.
This fed into a Flowmaster y-collector ((2) 2.5" into 1 3") and in turn I
fed that to a dynomax high flow cat.

These two things (flowmaster collector and dynomax 3" cat) made a huge
difference. Defenitely toss the 2.5"collector and 2 1/4" y-pipe Hooker
includes. It is junk!

The stock pipes and cat are even worse. Two 2", maybe smaller very crimped
pipes going into a cat that has a 2.5" outlet is just plain JUNK for
performance. They were a BIG restriction. IMHO just putting a 3"
intermediete pipe, the flowmaster collector and making a 2.5" into 3"
y-pipe is worth more than the headers.

On the upside I think Mopar did a pretty good job in designing the
manifolds. They aren't that heavy and sometimes I wonder if the headers are
really outflowing the maifolds by that much.

Straight pipe will be a little loud. If your rig has the OBD2 set-up then
it WILL set a code off as mine did. I didn't get around to lengethtenign
the second O2 for a while and until I hooked it back up the check engine
light came on after a few days.

If you don't want to have a cat, there is a way to trick it though. Since
air/fuel mixture is leaner than before the cat, just figure out how much
less voltage is on the second sensor and install an appropriate resistor on
the O2's signal wire.

I forgot what color the "hot" signal wire is but you basically have two
wires for the heating element, a "hot" signal wire and a signal ground.

Good luck. If you have any questions just ask.

-George

 Alternative suggestions welcome.