Muffler Soundoff(Help?!)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 11:59:39 EST

I found this good link: http://members.tripod.com/~racetruck/muffler.html
and read all it had to say about the mufflers they tested on a 5.0L Mustang.
Please take 5 minutes out and read this post and help me out, once again.

I have narrowed my muffler search down to two mufflers: Dynomax Super Turbo
and FlowMaster's 3Chamber Delta-Flow Muffler. I have looked at the above
website, emailed about 20 people whom I have found on the web with the 2
mufflers I am considering, printed out about 10 pages worth of muffler info,
and searched about every search engine, trying to find all info pertaining
to the sound qualities of these mufflers.

>From what I have read and researched, it seems like the Super Turbo mufflers
are louder than the FlowMaster 3Chambers are, just slight though. Flowmaster
3Chambers appear to be only slightly louder than stock, something I want.
Flowmasters have a deeper 'rumble'. I havent read or found anything bad
about the Super Turbo, just that it is more prone to rotting out fom the
inside than the Flowmaster's are.

>From the emails I have compiled, one thing greatly scares me about the
FlowMaster 3Chamber muffler; I will directly quote it, "I have the 50 Series
3 Chamber and it sounds great except for the annoying popping noise upon
deceleration. I stuck with the factory 2 1/2" pipes and just snuck it in. DO
NOT use this muffler with the factory pipes, as there's a dramatic increase
in backpressure. If I had known this beforehand, then I would have went with
something else."

The only modification I have done to my exhaust is this, still using the
2.5" piping throughout: I cut off the 90 degree bend in the ehxaust. The
exit pipe used to be right behind the rear passenger's tire. I put on a
mandrel bent 45 degree pipe and extension pipe with a Meg's Stainless Steel
5"x2" Oval Tip. The tip is not located at the corner of the rear bumper, you
can see it at: http://www.bastaards.org/Kyle.htm

Will all aftermarket mufflers have the deceleration popping noise? Does
length of the exhaust also matter when talking about increase in
backpressure, popping, and muffler tone???
Should I be worried now about this "dramatic increase in
backpressure"??????? Cause I am!! :)
I know any muffler will flow better than my currenty 119,500 mile old
muffler, but noise and tone is my main concern. I would like to get a
muffler within the next week or so, so any input is greatly appreciated.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6