Re: towing with a V-6

From: Cal Hyer (clhyer@hom.net)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 12:32:55 EST

Brett, thank you all for responding, I really appreciate it. 2 weeks ago I
towed a motorcycle trailer to Florida (150 miles) loaded. It was a top
heavy load and I drove down with OD off at about 52 mph. On the way home my
plan was to hit I-75, set the cruise at 70 with OD on and kick back with
only an empty trailer behind me. It was all I could do to get to 70! When
I put it in OD, it wouldn't hold it - the speed just dropped to 60 at which
time the OD disengaged and we went back up to 70. After repeating this
cycle about 3 times I decided to just settle at 60 and take my time. A few
miles down the road I noticed I was doing 70 (in OD) and pulling slight
hills...a few miles down the road and it about died again - back to 60 and a
repeat of the earlier problem. A few miles down the road and I'm back at
70. It did this the whole trip. Mileage coming back sucked the big one, at
about 13 mpg.

Last week I took it to the dealer, there were no codes and they said
everything was within specs and maybe I had got some bad gas. After filling
up I hooked back up to the trailer, could barely get to 70. I reset the
computer - same thing. This week I took the truck back in, with the
trailer. Got it back today, they said everything was ok and "in spec". On
the way home, couldn't get above 70 - and to hold 70 my foot was on the
floor - literally.

Keep in mind, this is an empty motorcycle trailer. I can drag it around the
yard by hand to get it to the truck. I've towed enough trailers with enough
other trucks to think this isn't right. What do you all think? Oh yes, I
have an '87 V-6 that yanks this trailer around and doesn't even feel like
it's back there.

The '99 has 3.55 rear with 255/65 tires

Thanks again, I look forward to your thoughts and comments.
Cal Hyer