Re: Universal Joints - Advice

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 09:50:39 EST

> You mean CV Joints? It's extremely easy. slip it in the splines and
you're
> set.
>
> If you havet to take the CV boots off (cracked or torn) there's a boot
kit
> for it that comes with a packet of grease. break off the seals, take the
> boots out. clean it out. apply the new grease. push it back into
position
> (check for free play) and put new "clamps" on the ends. reinstall into
the
> hubs and front diff.
> -Dester
>
> << Any words of advice on putting in new universal joints? Which one is
going
> out for example.. I havn't had a four wheeled vehicle in about 5 years,
so
> my mechanical skills on these things are a bit rusty....
>
> Robb McElroy
> San Francisco, CA
> robbmc@pacbell.net

Dester/Robb.
Universal joints is what is at the end of a driveshaft(s)........CV Joints
denotes the front axle assembly on 4WD Dakotas......definately not the same
thing here. Robb, I will assume you mean universal joints as the parts which
are at the end of the front and rear driveshaft. I have been told to check
for universal joint 'slop', get under your truck and grab the driveshaft, if
it rotates more than 1/8" either way, the universal joint(s) need replacing.
Tolerance for u-joint play is really zero. I am going to have all 4
universal joints replaced this summer, just cause every now and then I get a
nasty, loud clunk coming from the floorboards, which I only assume will be
the u-joints. Plus I do have a good amount of play or slop in both, but more
in the front driveshaft. Universal Joints are about $12-$25 each, depending
on what brand you get, but I have been told to only put Spicer brand
universal joints back on, due tho their superior quality over otehr
u-joints. Spicer's go for about $18-$22 each. Good Luck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6