RE: Re: [dakotart] Re: T-Stat DONE!... One final question

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 21:44:32 EST

A 160 degree T'Stat will probably affect emissions...a 180 will not (they
run at 185 anyway). I've run sniffer tests (back in the BAR-90 days) and
the people who put 160 T'Stats in the engines always failed. Keep in mind
that these were the "preemie" OBD-I days (as well as EEC-III).

A 160 T'stat will also not close properly during the summer days since the
engine doesn't have enough time to cool down (unless you're always on the
highway).

$0.02

- Bernd

BTW: My Javelin had (and still does have) a 180 T'Stat in it and it NEVER
failed emissions let alone built up enough carbon deposits to "ping". Hell,
I can't even get it to ping with the timing advanced 4 degrees on regular
unleaded...and it's got 9.5:1 pistons (aftermarket) with a slightly milled
head.