Re: RE: DML Cam Questions

From: Gmblows@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 22:21:01 EST

In a message dated 3/25/00 7:29:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kswanson@peerenvironmental.com writes:

<< Hey every one,

 I know quite a bit of talk has occured about this subject in previous posts,
 however, I'm still very ignorant regarding how to choose the right cam! My
 truck is an automatic 4X4 and I drive primarily in the 700 - 5800 rmp range.
 I am looking for something that is compatible with the stock computer but
 will give me more off-idle torque and then pull strong up to 5800 rpms! I
 occaisionally pull a 2,000 pound trailer. With that said, here are my
 questionns?

 - What brand and part # would you suggest?

 - Has anyone out there with similar mods to mine done a cam upgrade, and if
 so your thoughts or impressions?

 - Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it for you? Approximate cost?

 Thanks

 Kurt Swanson

 97 Dak Sport CC 4X4 318 auto, K&N Gen II, Mesa headers, Y-pipe and Hi-flo
 cat, MSD Digital 6, SS-coil, Magna Flow (single 2.5" in, dual 2.5" out).
 Waiting on time and weather to install the Hughes 1.6 Roller Rockers,

That's a tall order, "more off idle torque, and pull strong to 5800 RPM"
Sounds like you need to make a choice here; torque or HP.
A cam change will shift the torque peak, stock cams can't be beat for
off idle torque, aftermarket cams will trade some low for some high.
5800 RPM sounds like a lot of RPM for any cam that will make more
off idle torque than stock.
1.7 roller rockers and a ported t-body might be your ticket if you want a
little more all over without shifting the power band too much.
If you want to change the cam you should contact a professional, such
as hughes, and ask for advice regarding your needs.
I think you stumped the DML with that one. (TQ & HP with a cam)
P.S. If you want a LOT MORE down low and up top then my friend, you want
a Blower
GM blows