Re: DML:Mike's Cam specs: was---> Pistons

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 19:14:36 EST

whoaoh....

I just read 2 different things...
one person says "it will kill your low end" and the other says "you will
have no top end"...

I'm so confused!

I've been told about 4 different things...

all of the upgrades you listed that I'll need, I will probably have
(minus a couple things like injectors).
I'm shootin' for 13's

-mike d.

---> Yorktown, Va.
"PROJECT 13's" ... slammed 88 Dakota gettin' a Magnum 360!

miggitymike@juno.com
http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 23:13:09 -0600 Mike Schwall <mschwall@flash.net>
writes:
> Mike d.
>
> Uhhh, 10:1 compression with this cam? Your kidding right? Not
> worth the
> trouble if you want my opinion. Cam would be a mild upgrade from
> stock,
> but 10:1 is overkill with this cam. This is what you would call an
> RV cam
> - great low end torque, slightly improved midrange and no top end at
>
> all. Anything past 3000 and's it's wheezing.
>
> Not much overlap to talk about. Dynamic compression will be slightly
> less
> than static, you'll definitely have pinging problems, unless you
> detune by
> retarding the timing (a lot).
>
> You have to balance things Mike. If your hard for 10:1 compression,
> get a
> bigger cam. Something in the 220 duration at .050" to make use of
> the
> higher compression. Even the Hughes 215/220 would be a better
> choice for
> 10:1, but clearance problems come an issue, so does stock computer,
> stock
> injectors, stock intake, stock TB, stock converter (if auto), and
> rear end
> gears. There's only so much you can do before you have to upgrade
> other
> parts to make the most of what your originally adding.
>
> What's your goal with this setup?
>
> Mike

> mschwall@flash.net

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!