Re: Trosion Bars & leaf springs?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 11:33:15 EST

> DML,
>Okay...I just had my 3" Rancho Lift installed yesterday, and a 3" body lift
two weeks ago. How much >will I gain in the front if I crank up my torsion
bars? If I do this...I will need to get add-a-leafs or >something for the
rear. What are my options? The rancho suspension kit is nice, but it does
not give >you a true 3" in the rear. It only adds 2" in the rear to level
up the truck.
> Please help....

Hehe, you mean torsion bars, not trosion bars :)
You can really crank up the front tbars about 3", but I would not suggest
it. This will put some extreme stress on the front end steering components
and the cv joints, plus you will never be able to have your Dak aligned to
be within specs. I would say you could crank up the rear tbars 1" to 1 1/2",
no more though. Remember too, the tbars will not hold this life that good,
and they may sag and the factory tbars arent really made for this. However,
since you Dak is quite new compared to mine, they certainly will hold the
adjustment for longer periods of time than my old tbars will. If you want an
additional inch, I would say go for it, as it is a good way to get some
additional clearance and height up front.
As far as the rear leafs are concerned, have you thought about having custom
leaf packs made with the lift built into them? This way, you wouldnt have to
use any lift blocks or add-a-leaf kits, the leafs themselves would have the
lift built into them and offer a better ride. You did not state though how
Rancho lifted the rear 2", with add-a-leafs or with a lift block???
Otherwise, you could get taller lift blocks for the rear, do not stack lift
blocks!!!! Or an add-a-leaf kit will work, giving you about 2" lift max,
with a lot harsher ride. Good Luck,
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6