Re: MSD Ignition upgrades

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 13:33:51 EST

"Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote:

> First off, the factory ignitions are not Multiple Spark (so there's one
> reason)

Whats the source of this information? Not that I don't believe you - I just
would like to research it further. I do believe you - in fact, even though Ma
Mopar has been using capacitive-discharge, multiple-spark ignitions for years -
in order for them to be using that in our trucks - it would have to be built
into the PCM considering the fact that the PCM controls all grounding of the
primary side of the ignition coil.

> , second...why pay more from Mopar when you can get if from the
> actual manufacturer (MSD) for less.

My first impression here would be because Chrysler would be forced to support
it - even troubleshoot and/or replace it if any problems were encountered with
it. On the other hand - if it were purchased from MSD (or any other supplier)
- Chrysler could use that as an excuse to not only refuse to work on your
vehicle but also to potentially void any and all warranties. Thats a huge
difference for the few dollars saved.

> In my case, the engine runs/accelerates much smoother, I can easily retard
> the timing for the Nitrous System, and I get close to 1 mpg better (on the
> average...not just highway). No technical answer required...just a fact.

Which were facts?

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"